G&A is offering unpaid internship opportunities for qualified students interested in learning more about corporate sustainability and corporate ESG performance (“Environmental, Social, Governance”) issues. G&A Institute interns learn important elements about the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) Standards for sustainability reporting as well as other common frameworks such as CDP, RobecoSAM CSA (DJSI), SASB, IIRC, SDGs, and concepts in sustainability such as materiality, stakeholder engagement, assurance, balance, comparability, and many others that can be used in their future work situations.
The work will support G&A’s pro-bono unpaid relationship as the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) data partner for the US, UK, and Ireland, along with contributing to associated research on sustainability reporting trends.
This is a very fast growing area of interest to corporations and Wall Street. The GRI’s reporting framework and standards are the most widely used in the world for these types of reports.
Opportunity: Learn to analyze data and interpret content from GRI sustainability reporting
Intern Position: Sustainability Report Data Analyst (supporting G&A’s GRI Data Partner relationship)
Location: Virtual — Work is done remotely – at your own location with a flexible work schedule. Initial training via virtual meeting tools. There will be opportunities to attend industry networking and training events with G&A’s network of event and training partners.
Time Requirements: Position requires approximately 10 hours per week and begins ASAP. The timing of the work is flexible for a majority of the time required and can be done remotely. The internship will take place starting in September 2018 and ending May 2019.
Compensation: This is an unpaid experience only internship position.
MORE ABOUT THE INTERN POSITION
In this role, you will work as part of a team to analyze sustainability reports for inclusion in the largest global database of sustainability reports, the GRI’s Sustainability Disclosure Database (database.globalreporting.org).
Learning to read, analyze, use and structure data from reports using the GRI Standards, GRI G4, GRI-Reference, as well as NON-GRI corporate and institutional reports, will comprise the majority of this assignment. The research will also contribute to several published research reports on various trends in sustainability reporting which are widely referenced by media, academics, business, capital markets players and other important sustainability stakeholders.
The student(s) selected will have the opportunity to experience a fast-paced, highly-adaptive (and nurturing) culture in a small but growing company with a unique niche. This is a hands-on position with a considerable learning opportunity for those headed for a career in corporate responsibility, sustainability, citizenship or impact investment.
G&A interns get public recognition for their work in our published reports, on our web platform, and in other ways.
We are proud of our intern alumni and are happy to share their success with the world, as they accomplish great things through their careers navigating the way to sustainability. To see what other interns have been doing (and their backgrounds) check out G&A’s Intern Honor Roll at http://www.ga-institute.com/about-the-institute/the-honor-roll.html
- Must be in senior year of Bachelors program or in a Masters program with major/studies focused on business, capital markets, ESG, environmental and/or sustainability issues and topics.
- Demonstrate strong background / keen interest or past work experience in ESG and sustainability-related issues / topics.
- Having a basic understanding of business and the capital markets is mandatory.
- Must have strong skillsets and experience in independent online research and analysis.
- Must be excellent at using Excel / Google Sheets and researching on Google.
- Have strong technical, communication and organizational skills.
- Must be self-driven and able to work independently to meet expectations and deadlines.
- Must be fluent in English, additional languages are a plus.
- Applicants with good writing and editing abilities will have a preference.
Interested students must send:
- A cover letter outlining why you would be a good fit for this role.
- Resume including your education, skill sets, and work experience.
- A one-to-two page introduction essay on what you would like to learn more about (in terms of your career goals), what your interests are, and anything else you feel may be relevant to the job/our organization.
- Samples of writing or research on sustainability or other topics are also a plus.
ABOUT GOVERNANCE & ACCOUNTABILITY INSTITUTE
Founded in 2006, Governance & Accountability Institute is a New York City-based company that specializes in research, communications, strategies and other services focused on corporate sustainability and corporate ESG performance (“Environmental, Social, Governance”) issues.
G&A is the data partner for the United States, United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland for the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI). The Global Reporting Initiative is a non-profit organization that promotes the use of sustainability reporting as a way for organizations to become more sustainable and contribute to sustainable development.
GRI provides all companies and organizations with a comprehensive set of sustainability reporting standards that are the most widely used and respected around the world. Currently, thousands of global organizations use the GRI to report on their Environmental, Social, and Corporate Governance (ESG) strategies, impacts, opportunities and engagements (www.globalreporting.org).
As the US, UK and Ireland data partner of the GRI, G&A’s role is to collect, organize, and analyze sustainability reports that are issued by corporations, public entities, not-for-profits and other entities in the United States, United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland for the benefit of all stakeholders.